Sunday, April 19, 2015

My top 15 most influential games of all time

This is a list of my top 15 most influential video games of all time.

15. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - Follows the story of Ty and his friends, running across a fictional Australia to save Ty's family, who are currently stuck in the Dream Time. The two later games bring all of the same characters, but with a new problem. The second game becomes more adventurous, and you even get to drive around GTA style, while the third game puts in new battle and game-play mechanics.
Ty is a fun series and it is a must play for any action adventure game fan! Especially if you love Boomerangs like me!

14. Poke'mon - As most of you probably know, Pokemon is an anime and video game series about people who capture creatures known as pokemon, that have magic powers and use them to do battles with other pokemon.
Although I don't play Pokemon anymore, I loved playing Pokemon as a young teenager. I believe I started playing Pokemon when I was 12 on the Gameboy Color, I had Silver, and later on Crystal. I loved playing Pokemon back then, and my favorite Pokemon is Mawile, although a part of a later generation, but I always loved fire types like Charmander and Cyndaquil.

13. Final Fantasy - Once again, I'm sure you've heard of the Final Fantasy games before, they are the most popular RPG series in the world, along side titles like Pokemon and Dragon Warrior/Quest.
Although I am not the biggest fan of the series, and prefer other series like Chrono Cross, Suikoden, Shadow Hearts etc.. Final Fantasy does hold a special place in my heart, I've played VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII and XII-2 and I would love to play III, VI, XIII  and Type-0 in particular.
The series has good RPG elements and can be entertaining, and I'll always love the nostalgia I have for my favorite Final Fantasy, FF IX.

Final Fantasy IX, my favorite character will always be Quina!

12. Twisted Metal - Remains one of the first series I've ever played, and the original car combat game. You go around as a vehicle of your choice blasting other cars with your missiles, and special abilities. Each character has a different special attack that is specific to them, one character can shoot a flamethrower, while another character will shoot a ghost missile that can go through walls, or gooey acid that will melt your car!
The games are very fun, and very interesting, the characters are all unique and quirky and you always have returning characters!
The second game was the first I've ever played (And my favorite) and I actually never got to play the first game until about a year ago.

11. Spyro The Dragon -  Spyro is a popular Playstation title that most 90's kids should know. You play as the stubborn, and mischievous Spyro. Each game has him collecting something, the first game it's breaking dragons free from a crystal like state, the second game is collecting Talisman and orbs, while the third game has you collecting dragon eggs.
Spyro is going around the world fighting with his dragon abilities like flame breath, in later games he can also obtain upgrades such as a longer flying period, or super flame breath.
Spyro is a must play for anyone really!
The third game is easily my favorite, and also introduces some other characters you can play as, such as Bentley the Yeti and Sheila the Kangaroo.

You never need to cook when Spyro is around!



10. Malice
- Malice is a very unknown title with poor ratings, Gwen Stefani herself was supposed to voice Malice until the company changed, and the entire story got revamped. Malice was originally going to be a story about time travel, but instead it became about the titular character Malice, a goddess who is after the evil Dog God that is destroying planets.
Even though I know ,and understand Malice's flaws, I still liked the game and it holds a special place in my heart. I feel like if someone would give it a chance, they could even make a new Malice game and if they get it right, it could be a great series!
I find that Malice has a familiarity with Beyond Good & Evil and Kya Dark Lineage. I once made fan art of the three girls from each game together.

Malice is also on the Xbox! 

I don't know which cover I like better...


Ooooh.. I get it, Malice fights lot's of crow enemies because they're crow-nies.. It all makes sense now!

I have this cover, but for Playstation 2... 

In the comments below, explain which Malice cover you like better and why?


9. Breath of Fire IV - The Breath of Fire series is amazing, unfortunately I've only played the second and fourth game. Both are great, but I've played the fourth game the most. I absolutely love BOF IV, it's an amazing game with great animation, graphics, music, battles.. just everything. It's a piece of art, really. The story is great, and so are the characters and the towns, it's a cute, fun and just great game. What's especially fun is any character can also learn abilities from monsters, which makes for an interesting game play idea. It's an overall fun game and it is just breath taking, I don't even have the words that can describe it all. It was one of my first RPG's, after Suikoden and Chrono Cross.

The next three games I find are a package Deal.

They were all released only months apart from each other, they are all linked by having the same developers, and some even have characters that appear in another.

Soul Nomad came out in February 2007, it was released in America in September 2007. It was made by Nippon Ichi Software, and has an unlockable character, Lujei the ghost witch that appears in Grim Grimoire.
Grim Grimoire came out in April 2007 for Japan and June for America, it was made by Nippon Ichi and Vanillaware. Then Odin Sphere came out in Japan and America in May 2007, it was made solely by Vanillaware.
I always connect the three games because they came out around the same time, two games have a character that appears in both of them, and both developers went and made their own game (Nippon with Soul Nomad, Vanillaware with Odin Sphere), but also made a game together (Grim Grimoire).
All three games are just fantastic, Soul Nomad has the typical Nippon Ichi style, while Grim Grimoire and Odin Sphere have amazing 2D graphics..
The interesting thing is that all three games are in different genre's, Soul Nomad is a turn based tactical game, Grim Grimoire is a Live action Tactical game and Odin Sphere is a side scrolling action adventure game.

8. Grim Grimoire - Lillet Blan is a young magician who has attended an academy of magic, one day she wakes up to find everyone dead, but before she is killed she gets thrown in time to her first day. It's up to Lillet to figure out what is going on, and how she can save everyone! Along the way she learns powerful magic as well as secrets of her classmates, and teachers!
The game has an amazing intro theme that everyone should check out!



7. Odin Sphere - Follows the story of five heroes and their stories during a war, each character meets one another during their story, and stories will collide for better, or worse.
Odin Sphere has a very interesting storyline, and has amazing music as well as stunning artwork!
The playable characters are all really cool, and interesting, my favorite is Velvet, the forest witch. Who is the last playable character; she has a cool whip like weapon called the graveryl.
The game is very magical to play, and to reminisce about.

6. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters - The hero Revya (Can be boy or girl), is the only one that can wield the Onyx blade, a sword that harbors a dangerous being known as Gig, the "Master of Death". The hero goes on a journey to help defeat the three World Eaters, which were all created by Gig. Along the way they recruit more allies to help fight against the world eaters, and alternatively, there is also a dark path where you play as the bad guy trying to destroy the world.
Soul Nomad is my favorite out of the three, it's just so fun and has a Suikoden vibe to it.

6. Sly Cooper - Is a series about a raccoon, Sly Cooper and his friends Bentley and Murray, who go around stealing from the rich. In every game, there is a reason for their thievery. In the first game, Sly and the gang are after the Fiendish Five, who have stolen pages of a book from Sly's ancestor's "Thievius Raccoonus" that have valuable moves and secrets that Sly can learn. In the end, Sly defeats the Fiendish Five's leader "Clockwerk" a giant Owl that reinforced his body into metal, his metallic body parts are put up in a museum afterwards. The second game involves Sly and the gang retrieving the clockwerk parts from the Klaww Gang, if the clockwerk parts are put together, Sly's worst enemy could come back to life!
In the third game, Sly takes a new route. He goes on a mission to require new allies that can help him get into the "Cooper Vault", the Cooper vault has plenty of secrets that are also present in the Thievius Racoonus. Sly even enlists the help of two former villains from the first two games, which makes things very interesting!
Sly Cooper is a fun series that I enjoy playing over and over every now and again.
 


4. Beyond Good & Evil - Is a story featuring Jade, a photographer that lives in a light house with her uncle Pey'j, an anthropomorphic pig. Her planet "Hillys" is under attack by aliens known as the Domz, fortunately the Alpha sections assure all inhabitants that they are fighting the Domz attacks.
Jade ends up joining the Iris network, which seeks out to defeat the Domz, and put an end to the fishy group known as the Alpha Sections.
Along the way Jade also meets Double H who joins Jade, and Pey'j in the fight against the Domz.
The really cool aspect to BG&E is that you can take pictures of anything, and everything in the game. If you get a picture of each creature, you get money for it, which is the main way to make money in the game. There aren't that many side quests to do, but it's a very fun game with nice graphics and a nice world. It's a fun game and I always felt like it was similar to Kya Dark Lineage due to strong female heroine, and lack of many fans as well as Malice.



3. Kya Dark Lineage - Kya Dark Lineage follows the story of Kya, who falls into another world along with her brother Frank. Kya is brought to a village of creatures known as Nativs, who are under attack by creatures known as Wolfen. The ring leader of the Wolfen is a man named Brazul, who also happens to be Kya's lost long father. Kya goes on an adventure through this new enchanted world, she is going to defeat Wolfen, and put them back into their Nativ form, find her brother Frank, defeat Brazul, and find a way home.
Kya Dark Lineage is one of my three most favorite game series, I love it to pieces, and I would love to see another game! It's a great game with nice graphics for it's time and the world is beautiful, the music falls on the calm side, which is a nice change of pace with other games having abrupt charging music themes, It's a great game that doesn't get enough credit.
Like Beyond Good & Evil and Malice, I feel like Kya has similarities between the other two games.



2. Chrono - The Chrono games involve the hero, Crono or Serge either going through time or going through different dimensions.
Chrono Trigger involves Crono, who along with his friends travel through time to find out how to defeat the world eating monster Lavos!
Chrono Cross involves Serge, a young man who is accidentally transported to an alternate dimension where he died when he was 7. Along with a girl named Kid, he goes on an adventure to find a strange man named Lynx, and an artifact known as the Frozen Flame. Along the way, he recruits many allies to help him out.
I favor Chrono Cross over the first title, Chrono Trigger, but they are both great games. I fell in love with Chrono Cross, it has nice bright graphics, a bright and colorful world, great music, interesting characters! It has a Suikoden vibe and in my opinion, the closest game to ever have resemblance to Suikoden due to the amount of characters to recruit, with colorful graphics, and amazing music!



1. Suikoden - Suikoden is always a story about a young protagonist that has to fight against another empire that is falling out of line, in order to bring back harmony and peace to the land. Along the way, they recruit allies across the land to help fight against the opposing army or enemy.
Suikoden is overall my most favorite game in the history of everything, not only that but also has my favorite character of all time as well.
I just love everything about the series, each game has interesting characters, a unique battle system, music, story, just everything. I love the customization, where you can give characters different magic spells.
Suikoden II in particular, is my favorite game in the series and game of all time. It always gives me nostalgia, and there was always something about it that reminded me of something.. but I can never put my finger on it.
It gave birth to my favorite character of all time, Millie and it is also where my love of Boomerangs came from, as Millie uses a Boomerang as her weapon.
Millie

These were my top 15 most influential video games! Are any of these your favorites? Comment anything about the games below, and don't forget to check out this link to help my friend out!

Patreon

No comments:

Post a Comment