Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Zombies are overrated!

I don't know about you, but....

 I hate zombies!

Now, when I say that. I mean that I am not a fan of the zombie sub-genre that is appearing in Television, Gaming, and other media. I don't mean to hate, but I just wanted to get my view across as to why I don't care for the genre. As well as what I believe could make the Zombie genre, more interesting!

Zombies, or Zambiez (Zam Bees), as me and my brother used to call them (I don't know if that is a thing already, if it's not a thing, let's make it a thing!) A popular creature, or opponent in television, comics, books, the video game world..etc...
Deceased people coming back to life, to eat brain,s and savagely murder people in their paths. Of course they can't eat the brains of stupid people because, we all know that idiots don't have brains!

Anyways...

In most media, "zambiez", are killed by shooting them with any type of gun, or by bludgeoning them with something blunt like a bat, or a giant metal dildo for example... The zombie dies, and then the characters go back to killing the 50 million other ones outside, trying to rip through the door/s. 
(Maybe  they want to give us their gingerbread cookie recipe???)

I don't really get the hype, I just do not find this entertaining. I think it's because I like variety, I don't want everything to be about one thing, it needs to be all sorts of things! Which is one of the reasons why I didn't get into Teen wolf right away, ( I LOVE TEEN WOLF). I thought it would be about just where-wolves, but there's all sorts of creatures lurking in the dark. Where-wolves are just the main focus per say, since the main character is one.
A bunch of people always on the run from a bunch of zombies does not sound interesting to me, nor does shooting them. The background of this idea, I just find bland. I am more of a fantasy world type of guy, so I guess that also has to do with it. I also like monsters, all types.. whether it's a plant monster, Ogre, or the creepy guy that no one knows is living in the basement!



Killing zombies is highly un-realistic in pretty much every show or game, that I have seen them appear in.
A zombie is not alive, it is dead. So shooting a zombie with a gun 80 times, in reality should not kill it, since it is already dead. It has gone past the part where it can die from usual things that kill people. It should actually just keep on going after everyone, after being shot twice, and kill that really annoying person that no one liked!
But, what I think franchises should do, is make things more interesting. I suggest, borrow ideas from RPG's! (Role Playing Game)

RPG's tend to cast things in a different light, that I think could help the zombie genre increase, and become more realistic per say.
RPG video games tend to have magical elements to them,  like Fire, Wind, Water, earth, Holy and Darkness. In various RPG's, Demons, and other "dark" creatures, tend to be weak against holy magic.

In RPG's, Zombies would be dark, especially since it could also be seen as a form of necromancy. Holy magic would hurt them. Some games, have done this.  Like in Suikoden II when you can use the "Resurrection rune", to cast holy spells on zombies, and kills undead creatures.

I think people could take notes, instead of zombies being somehow killed by things that could actually only kill living creatures. Allow for a way to kill them in a non traditional way, that would actually make sense. This also allows the idea of making it harder for characters to kill zombies, and making them figure out what they need to do to actually survive. It could also help if they needed to kill millions of zombies with some kind of gas or liquid.
In a fantasy setting, zombies could be killed with holy spells, and items. In a realistic setting, maybe they would be killed by fire, or maybe a type of acid that disintegrates bone. Which would make much more sense, since it's making the body disappear, and then, unable to function. Even if it's more realistic, there may have to be a fantasy aspect in there somewhere, especially since the undead are alive! So it wouldn't be bad to put a bit of fantasy into killing them. Maybe even a magic weapon that is the only item that can kill them, I'm sure there's something like that in the Supernatural TV series.

In my opinion, people need to get more creative and  realistic with their zombie stories, otherwise it's just the same thing over, and over again, and that's just dull!

Edit from 2019, I saw someone play the new Resident Evil 2 remake. It takes 79 years, to kill one freaking zombie! You shoot it so many times, that the zombies could pilfer all the bullets, and sell them in the black market!
Patreon

No comments:

Post a Comment