Saturday, June 16, 2018

I've almost been sued on the internet TWICE!?

At the ripe age of 28, I can honestly say I've almost been sued twice online, so far...



The first offense -

I was 17, and I was really into message boards at the time. I was kind of friends with someone, who also had their own forum as well. One day, I put an advertisement for their message board on mine. I was contacted the next day by them, and told to take their advertisement down. I asked them why, they didn't tell me, they just said to take it down. I asked why again, they didn't answer me, and this went on a few times. If they had just told me why, I would have taken it down right away, just let me know what's going on. But because I didn't take it down, as I wanted to know why first, they banned me from their website! So I took it down, and then they told me that I didn't have the rights to advertise their website on mine. I thought this was outrageous, who doesn't like free advertising?
Because I was 17, and very petty. I went on dead message boards, and complained about them. Turns out, they also went on these very dead boards, and found out I was complaining about why they'd ban me on their site for free advertising. This is when they decided that if I didn't delete all the posts about me complaining about them, that they would take legal action against me. This was a middle aged person, ready to sue a teenager (With no money), because they were upset over my petty posts (on very dead websites).
I took the posts down, and I banned them from my site, and never talked to them again.
Did I go too far by complaining on random sites that were long gone? Yes, I shouldn't have done that in the first place. But I feel that they took it way out of proportion as well. Like why not just explain to me, why you don't want me to advertise your site on mine? Why is it so hard to explain something to me, so I can understand better? I've told this story to many people, and they all thought it was weird that this person didn't want me to advertise their site, on mine.

What's in the past, is in the past, and I've since let go. However, anytime I see someone with a similar username, I get freaked out that it's them. lol

The second offense - 

The second time this happened, was, in my opinion, much more reasonable. In fact, I hadn't realized that what I did, was not something you do (Since it's something everyone does)

I had a blog, where I just posted images of hot guys. (Which is now privated, because I don't use it anymore, but I also didn't want to waste time deleting a million posts, in case the event happened again.)
I was using this blog for maybe 2-3 years, after those years. I just got tired of posting pictures. Posting these pictures was a phase to me.
A year or two later, I got a message asking me to remove one of the pictures. They said I would have to pay them, if they wanted me to use the image, or they could even sue, or whatever.
I was emailed on an inactive email, so they sent the message one day, and I didn't read it until like 3 months later, when I conveniently used the email.
I messaged them back, telling them I removed the image, sorry for the wait etc..
They said thank you, and that was the end of that.

It wasn't until then, that I realized that, you really need permission to use images first. I had thought, it was okay to use an image, as long as you're not making money from it, but that's not the case. You can get into trouble for using anyone's image, even if you don't make money off of it.
I'm just glad that this person was understanding, and didn't get mad that I hadn't messaged them for three months.
Since then, I'm careful with what I post on here! I try not to use images that aren't mine anymore

 (Which is also why I'm re-branding the blog, with images all made by me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment