Sunday, September 23, 2018

My Account Got Deleted??

A few days ago, I made a Listography account. Some Twitter friends had one, and I was really interested in it. I figured this is perfect, I had plenty of lists on my old Zetaboards forum, that I could transfer over. Since Zetaboards closed down, and turned into Tapatalk. (Which deletes inactive sites after 30-90 days).

On Listography, I added a profile bio, an avatar (A drawing of mine.) I made one list of all my accounts on other sites, such as Deviantart, Twitter.. etc..
I had to go to bed for work the next morning, although I wanted to continue, I had to stop.

So fast forward a few days later, today. I was like, oh man, let me go look at my Listography, and add more to it! When I read "User not found". I was like huh? How can that be? There must be an error! I look around, maybe I'm on the wrong profile, I check my emails to see if there was something about account deletion. I find nothing.
I snoop around, and I find the Listography main page.

"Our spam detector automatically deletes suspicious accounts. To avoid deletion: MAKE introductory lists, DO NOT link to shady websites, DO NOT create multiple accounts, DO NOT create an account that is AD-like. Suspected spam accounts are deleted within one week and not retrievable."

I was like, are you kidding me?? I had a real bio, and all the sites I linked to, were Twitter, Deviantart, etc.. and not shady sites.. but somehow, their program must have picked it up, and deleted me! (There goes an hour of logging into my accounts, down the drain!)
At first I thought I'd make another one, but I thought, it could happen again, so I'd rather not. It's a shame, I really liked the way Listopgraphy had everything, but I'm not risking wasting my time for something that might get deleted again. This is just bad consumerism, if I'm using that in the right context.

Picture by me.


My advice for Listography, and any site that uses an automatic bot deletion program.

•  Hire volunteers to check out profiles, there are people who will do it for free. (Since it's made by people who made the site for fun, and not a company.)
Back in the old days of the early 2000's, there were plenty of people who volunteered their free time to help run websites,  I don't see why people wouldn't do that now. (Especially good for people wanting to get a marketing/social media job in the future, it could even count as job experience.)
If the bot detection program (BDP), spots a suspicious profile, a volunteer could check the profile out to see if it is a bot, or just a little innocent ol' me, just starting a new account. This gives real new users a chance to actually save their account, and redeem themselves.

The third twitter I ever made, is named Esmeralda'sdildo, which is based off a character I made. It was banned for two years, because  I was lazy and didn't do anything to save it. I sent them an email saying I was just a person using the account for a character, and they lifted the ban. The account got banned through their bot detection system, but at least it wasn't deleted!

Get a bot verification program. You know when you log in/sign up for a site, and it asks if you're a bot, and makes you type in words/letters from a picture? "3d5h8s"

Email accounts that get deleted. It should be easy enough to set a program up, that will at least email the user, saying their account was deleted. This way they aren't in the dark, like me.

Hopefully, there's another site that's similar, that doesn't have a program that just wipes things out. If not, I'll just continue to make lists on blogger, like I was doing in the first place!
Patreon

No comments:

Post a Comment