Monday, December 23, 2013

The Lost Files: Chrono Cross

Chrono Cross is one of my most favorite video games of all time, even almost 20 years later, as I edit this in 2019. CC is still an all time fave of mine!

I always played my favorite video games every now and again, at least once a year. Games like Suikoden, Kya, Soul Nomad, Sly Cooper etc... But I have not played Chrono Cross for about 6-7 years! (From 2013)

The reason why I haven't played it, is a peculiar one. Chrono Cross comes with two discs, and once you get to a certain part in the game, it asks you to use disc 2 to continue the game.

Back in 2006, my friend, and his brother were over my house. We had been playing Chrono Cross, and I left the disc on top of my Playstation 2. Before they left my house, I noticed the disc was gone! I asked if anyone knew where it was, and they said they did not know.

For years, I wondered what happened to it. At one point, I thought maybe one of them stole it. But your friends stealing something that belongs to you, was just not the right way of thinking! So I always trashed that thought.

I had also lost two other games, at two other unrelated times. One actually a year earlier in 2005, but eventually I found both of  those games, albeit years later. (I had lost my copy of Breath of Fire II, and Champions: Return to Arms. Both of those games, were found in a random pile of junk in my room lol. My mom must have found them, and put them somewhere else).

Drawing of Kid, from Chrono Cross.

A few weeks ago (2013) I cleared out the last place the disc could have been.
So the disc is just gone, and there is no way of finding it now... it's just gone! My first suspicion of my friend stealing it becomes a bit more real, and I'll tell you why.

There was a motive.

When I first got Chrono Cross, I showed it to my friends, and they enjoyed the game so much, they also obtained a copy. But their copy would mess up on certain parts, and wouldn't play properly.
Perhaps my friend, or his brother stole the disc so they could play it again? I was 16 in 2006, my friends were a little bit younger than me, so they had to be 14-12-ish. They couldn't have just driven to the store, and purchased a new one, their parents would have had to get it for them.

The irony to this is that my friend, and his brother don't play Chrono Cross anymore. They like shooter games, drinking beer, and getting high all the time. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I would still play the game, where as they wouldn't.)

So it's possible they have both their copy, and my disc one, and they don't even use it anymore!! Or they could have sold it!! (This also happened to me once, where my neighbor borrowed my game, and his little brother sold it, not knowing it was mine...) And here I am.. 6-7 years without it and I still love the game, and would actually play it again!

I actually am not really friends with them anymore, because we just became completely different people as we got older. He started to like his other friends more than me.

Whenever I was at his house, and his other friends were there... the "cool" ones.. he'd always pay attention to them and hang out with them, while I'd be hiding in the corner playing with their dog and cat!
We used to be best friends, but if I see him on the rare occasion, it's hard for me to even say hi to him because we're so different now.

None of that matters anymore as I had ordered a new Chrono Cross game online.
It's funny though, because I ordered one and it didn't work, I got a refund and ordered another one that was a bit more expensive, that one works fortunately! After all those years, I got to play it again!

Patreon

No comments:

Post a Comment