Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Life: What is going on!?

I don't know about you, but when I was in high school I would think about what I wanted to do as a career.

At the tender age of 17, I was drawing characters, comics and making up stories. I figured that after I go to college, I can get a cool fun job in the gaming industry and become a video game creator like I have wanted to.

Boy was I wrong


My life started to spiral out of control when I was 21, my college wouldn't let me back in to go for my bachelors in Graphic Design unless I started paying them. I couldn't pay them because I didn't have a job, and even though I looked for a job while in college, I couldn't get a job because I didn't have experience. Since I didn't have experience, no one would hire me, even though you need a job for experience, and need experience for a job.....what.... Why do companies make no sense?!

I ended up graduating with my Associates in Graphic Design, which actually has been pretty useless, and out of 26 (52 as of 2018) interviews, only three interviews I went on were jobs graphic design related. I've honestly learned more about Graphic Design on my own, and through the internet, than in college.

When I was little, I wanted to be an artist!  

I ended up working voluntarily in a mail room for four months from May 2011 to September 2011, it was a 2 and a half hour bus ride. I became friends with the lady in the employment center, located in the same building. She hooked me up with a volunteer maintenance job that was much closer. It was terrible, so I left after a week, and went back to the mail room. This was also in August, so I had to walk 20 minutes from the bus stop, I'd arrive drenched in sweat. At least I didn't have to walk far for the mail room job, since it brought me to a government building. (As I re-edit this in 2019, the Mail room so far, out of the 4 and a half jobs I've had. By far, had THE COOLEST Cafe, it was HUGE! It was awesome, and they had lunch ladies sell cool stuff too.)

I then got another volunteer job in an office in October 2011, and I was with them until I got my first paying job in retail, in October 2012. It is sad because I got my first paying job at 22... That's sad. (Alexa, play despacito)

Now I am in this spiral of paying off a 40,000 dollar amount of student loan from my college, in which the degree has been mostly useless to me. So far, it just raises eyebrows on interviews. People will tell me how they like my Graphic Design experience, but never hire me in the long run anways..
While I work minimum wage barely making 100-150 dollars a week when the loan company wants over 400 a month....what...I have house related bills to pay too, are you serious?!

My life has gone down the drain and not what I thought it would be like when I was 17.

Now I want to get a better job, preferably in an office since I cannot stand retail.

I sometimes don't know what to do, I never would have imagined my life to end up like this. But I still need to pursue my goals and figure out a way to make everything work out in the end.

EDIT: Now in 2018, I finally get an office job, but still making minimum wage (Which went up to 11 an hour)

No comments:

Post a Comment